photo beautiful_zpsda647654.jpg
CURRENTLY IN: WESTERN HIGHLANDS, GUATEMALA
About ME I Peace Corps GUATEMALA I Foreign Service TIMELINE

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Medical Clearance

...not so fast. As it turns out, I have elevated blood pressure (what?!) and need to go on a special plan to make sure I can get my levels back down to normal. This was surprising and not-so-surprising to me, just based on how much my diet and level of activity have changed since joining Peace Corps one year ago (several PCVs also told me recently they've received the same diagnostic.) It makes sense, honestly: I've gone from a fairly mobile, pure vegan to someone who now eats meat and all sorts of other goodies this country has to offer -- but I am definitely paying the price for my indulgences, haha :D

I'll keep you all updated on my progress -- I'm currently signed up for a 5K, have made the decision to go back strictly vegan, and am gonna stick to my morning runs with my host cousin. Hopefully in about 3-6 months this all pays off, and I won't have to go on any medications to get it under control.

I never thought medical clearances would hold me back from achieving my long-standing goal, but if there's anything to be said here its that this experience is definitely molding me into a better, stronger...more patient person!

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Yikes, but I'm sure you can turn that around. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -- I was pretty surprised, but I think it's manageable!

      Delete