photo beautiful_zpsda647654.jpg
CURRENTLY IN: WESTERN HIGHLANDS, GUATEMALA
About ME I Peace Corps GUATEMALA I Foreign Service TIMELINE

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Spanish Language Phone Exam: Done!

Yes, I finally took the Spanish Language Phone Exam. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, lasting around 15 or 20 minutes. One thing, though, is that I forgot about the time difference between Guatemala and DC, and I called in 15 minutes late! Good thing I thought to call and check the connection, or else I would probably have been deemed a "no show."

I am pretty sure I did not reach the required "3" to get the bonus points for hiring. I mainly took the exam to see where I fall on the spectrum and where I need to focus most of my practice. Honestly speaking, I'm pretty sure I received a 2+ in speaking according to this scale.

Anyway, I've received news on Friday that my security investigation is being "finalized", though I am only vaguely sure of what this means (I believe my file has to be looked over, then sent to another board for review.) I also just finished my last medical examination yesterday, which is awesome because it was getting tiring to leave my site so many times. Hopefully all goes well and I can find out my spot on the register ASAP ;) Given my score, I know I will take last place, but it still feels good being on the register at all.

I know I will need to complete the process again if I have any hope of being hired...which is why I signed up to take the February exam here in Guatemala on February 5th. This will be my 3rd time taking the exam, and hopefully the 3rd time I will pass. What makes this time really interesting is that 4 of my fellow PCV's will also be taking the test. I convinced them all to schedule with me on the same day, so we can share cab fare and possibly hotel fare (if they let us stay in the Capital.)

I don't think I will study much this year, as work is going to be pretty hectic, but I am still getting those lovely jitters that accompany me every time I begin the FSOT process. And we all know how opaque the QEP process can be, which is why my fingers are crossed for receiving another invite to the Orals!

But, bring it on!

6 comments:

  1. Glad you are going again - I'm OA-ing 1/21 with a few people in a similar situation - they passed but with scores that probably won't get 'em off the register. Fingers crossed for your language score - and for my OA! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias for the well-wishes! And I am really excited for you at the OA! I know you'll blow it away! Please keep me updated on everything :D

      Delete
    2. Good luck to you and Hihankara! I'm getting a little stressed about the Feb FSOT. Can't wait until it is over!

      Delete
    3. Good luck, GH! I know you can do it! :D

      Delete
  2. This is me, from the future, letting you know that you pass the exam.

    ReplyDelete