photo beautiful_zpsda647654.jpg
CURRENTLY IN: WESTERN HIGHLANDS, GUATEMALA
About ME I Peace Corps GUATEMALA I Foreign Service TIMELINE

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Back to Guatemala

Yes, I am sitting in an airport, waiting to fly back to lovely Guatemala. I planned a surprise trip home with my twin, and we managed to surprise some family members who had no idea I would be home for thanksgiving. Seeing their surprised, happy faces made my day :) 

I spent two weeks in my hometown, just relaxing, vegging out and gossiping with my twin. I also had the most meat-free two weeks I've had since I left for Peace Corps. It felt good to be able to refrain from meat, cheese and other milk products without being asked a bunch of questions about my dietary habits. Ohio isn't a bastion of vegans -- but it's much more accommodating than Guatemala, LOL. 

I am glad I took this extra two weeks at home, as I definitely needed a break from the Peace Corps world. It's funny -- I don't know what happened between the time I was 19, all about roughing it and being "intrepid", and now, where I am 29 and dreading the thought of hostels and bucket baths. I often wonder what I'd be like as a 19 or 20 year-old Peace Corps Volunteer. A lot more carefree, I assume, but a lot more immature ;) 

Now it's back to the grind, and I am very excited to head back to work in my small little site. I have 6 months of work planned, and it looks like my work partner has gotten used to me ideas and my way of working. And...finally, I get my office (sounds fancy, but it's a table against the wall in my work partner's office, LOL.)

In Foreign Service news, I'm signed up for the February test, and hopefully will receive an invite around the week of January 8th. Our main Management officer here at Peace Corps sent out a mass e-mail asking how many of us wanted to take the Feb exam, because the embassy is trying to figure out if they should offer it for more than one day. I am slowly trying to convince some of my cohorts to go take the exam ;) I hope so! I think it would be fun to head to Guatemala City as a group  ;)

Well, that's all for now. I've got to go hunt down some food and hunker down for the long wait for my flight!


2 comments: